SMG Director of Sales - Cox Business Center in Tulsa, Oklahoma
Direct the Cox Business Center Sales Department in our effort to attract conventions, tradeshows, consumer shows, corporate meetings and other short term business opportunities. Coordinate the sales programs with VisitTulsa & Tulsa Sports Commission and our key hotel partners to generate economic impact for the community, maximize utilization of convention center space, generate direct revenue for the convention center and maximize awareness of the facility. Help facilitate optimum efficiency, maximize profits and provide exceptional customer service.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities
- Work with VisitTulsa & Tulsa Sports Commission to develop a joint sales plan to attract and retain convention and Tradeshow business for the center and destination.
- Develops, directs and implements comprehensive marketing plans, initiatives and campaigns and corresponding budgets to promote the facilities, grow and penetrate markets, and develop and maintain maximum positive industry exposure and image.
- Analyzes, evaluates and reports on performance and effectiveness of plans, campaigns, activities, and initiatives relative to benchmarks and goals and recommends corrections.
- Conducts research, analysis and assesses strengths and weaknesses of competitors and competitive conditions in the market and keeps current with industry news and trends.
- Develop annual sales plan to secure short term business opportunities in the corporate meetings, consumer, and social markets.
- Recruits, hires, train, and evaluate Convention sales and communication personnel.
- Works closely with the Communications Manager in effective marketing and public relations functions to achieve established benchmarks and goals.
- Implements quarterly and annual sales goals, programs and plans for every sales manager.
- Monitors, oversees and corrects the effectiveness of the sales staff in their duties particularly in responsiveness to leads and client inquiries, timely and thorough follow up, and the satisfaction of clients and local industry stakeholders.
- Assures SMG Tulsa & Cox Business Center policies are impartially and fairly applied with all subordinates.
- Work with the Director of Event Services to ensure smooth, efficient transition of customers from contracting to event production.
- Coordinate the sales activities of Cox Business Center sales staff with representatives of VisitTulsa & Tulsa Sports Commission, to ensure seamless customer interactions.
- Regularly reviews published rates and actual rental revenue to make recommendations concerning pricing amounts and policies.
- Oversees the preparation of bid proposals for prospective events at the Cox Business Center.
- Participates in the activities of various industry associations and meetings in order to develop, manage and nurture new business partnerships to maintain ongoing communication with potential customers.
- Makes presentations to the public, clients, exhibitors and others on behalf of the Cox Business Center as required.
- Maintains a high profile and professional image at all times in representing the Cox Business Center.
- Develops and administers annual budget for Department.
- Develops and monitors key performance measures for sales team and when possible, align with VisitTulsa & Tulsa Sports Commission goals and objectives.
- Assists with the development and implementation of Cox Business Center booking philosophy, policies and procedures.
- Assure that the sales team is fully utilizing electronic sales and client tracking system (Event Booking) to enhance efficiencies and accountability.
- Provide reports that measure short and long term sales productivity for our owner, the city of Tulsa.
- Maintain a cooperative, team-like attitude in working with supervisors and fellow employees (including other departments).
- This position requires the ability to work flexible, sometimes long hours which include nights, weekends, and holidays.
- Other duties as assigned
Directly supervises the sales and communication staff. Carry out supervisory responsibilities in accordance with SMG policies and applicable laws. Responsible for interviewing, hiring and training employees; planning, assigning and directing work; appraising performance; rewarding; disciplining employees in conjunction with Human Resources department; addressing complaints and resolving problems.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Education and/or Experience
- College degree and/or equivalent related work experience required.
- Bachelor's degree in Sales, Business, Marketing or related subject matter with major emphasis on sales preferred.
- Minimum seven (7) years of experience in convention sales, show management or related areas.
- Minimum five (5) years of experience at the administrative level with supervisory experience.
Certificates, Licenses, Registrations
Skills and Abilities
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills and organizational ability
- Ability to work with and maintain highly confidential information is required
- Ability to work simultaneously with a broad variety of vested interest groups and to foster a cooperative environment
- Ability to anticipate problems and implement immediate corrective action. Remain Flexible and adjust to situations as they occur.
- Ability to perform effectively under significant pressure typically associated with meeting the demands and timetables of the convention industry
- Strong orientation towards hospitality/customer service for the meeting and convention industry
- Ability to deal effectively with human resource and personnel problems; to deal constructively with conflict; to motivate, provide counsel and execute applicable solutions
- Possess skills and experience in contract negotiation
- Plan, coordinate and direct varied and complex administrative operations.
- Ability to work flexible hours, including nights, weekends, and holidays in addition to normal business hour as needed
- Must have professional attitude and appearance
- Remain flexible and adjust to situations as they occur.
- Operate a personal computer using Windows, Office and other standard office equipment.
- Must have strong computer skills in Microsoft Excel , Word and PowerPoint.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to move around the facility; to stand for long hours during events; talk and hear. This position may require work inside or outside of the building, as needed for events.
- Specific vision abilities include close vision to handle contracts, other office correspondence, etc.
- Physical ability to perform tasks that may require prolonged standing, sitting and other activities necessary to perform job duties.
- This position requires minimal stooping and lifting, but substantial walking. Must be able to stand or sit for long periods of time.
- Ability to work in both inside and outside environmental conditions.
NOTE: The essential responsibilities of this position are described under the headings above. They may be subject to change at any time due to reasonable accommodation or other reasons. Also, this document in no way states or implies that these are the only duties to be performed by the employee occupying this position.
Recruiter: Allen Curd
200 S. Denver Ave
Tulsa OK 74103
All applicants must apply online to be considered. Applicants needing reasonable accommodations to complete the application may contact the Human Resources Administrative Assistant at (918) 894-4353.
SMG is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer, and encourages Women, Minorities, Individuals with Disabilities, and protected Veterans to apply. VEVRAA Federal Contractor.
Equal Opportunity Employer Minorities/Women/Protected Veterans/Disabled