Veterans Affairs, Veterans Health Administration Program Support Assistant Enrollment Coordinator in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
The position is located within Health Administration Service (HAS), Patient Registration Section, and organizationally reports to the Manager, Patient Registration. The incumbent provides a high level of administrative and data support to HAS to include the Community Based Outpatient Clinics (CBOCs) as well as VA Pittsburgh Healthcare System.
Learn more about this agency
This position is referred to as the subject matter expert on all enrollment administrative issues for clerks, medical staff, first- line, middle and senior facility management officials of VAPHS. The primary responsibilities include but not limited to:
- Coordinates activities for the Enrollment Program to include all administrative processes, health benefits eligibility determinations and all aspects of the health benefits.
- Provides guidance involved with screening, processing and assisting veterans, non-veterans and beneficiaries seeking multiple medical treatment benefits.
- Responsible for developing program materials, i.e. Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs), Station Policy, and relaying content to staff.
- Provides eligibility status on VA sharing agreements with Department of Defense (DoD) medical facilities and a contract service with local private inpatient hospitals utilized throughout the VAPHS and consistently demonstrates sound knowledge of appropriate federal related laws, VA policies, guidelines and other regulations.
- Serve as the subject matter expert for applications claiming eligibility based on the Environmental Health Agents Program e.g. Agent Orange, Gulf War/Operation Iraqi Freedom, Depleted Uranium (DU), Ionizing Radiation, Prisoners of War (POW) and other environmental areas of concern.
- Collects, compiles, researches, tracks and reports program data for use in program development, reporting to leadership, and reporting to accrediting bodies.
- Recommends necessary changes to local policies and procedures regarding the Enrollment Program.
- Assists Patient Registration management with research and preparation of responses to inquiries and complaints of veterans and congressional staff regarding health care benefits and revenue policies for the purpose of solving problems, explaining procedures, and recommending various courses of action. This is a Bargaining Unit Position Work Schedule:Monday-Friday, 8:00am - 4:30pm Compressed/Flexible: Not available Telework:Not available Virtual:This is not a virtual position. Position Description/PD#: / 00138A Relocation/Recruitment Incentives:Not authorized Financial Disclosure Report:Not required
- #### Job family (Series)
0303 Miscellaneous Clerk And Assistant
Conditions of Employment
- You must be a U.S. Citizen to apply for this job
- Designated and/or random drug testing may be required
- Selective Service Registration is required for males born after 12/31/1959
- You may be required to serve a probationary period
- Subject to background/security investigation
- Selected applicants will be required to complete an online onboarding process
To qualify for this position, applicants must meet all requirements by the closing date of this announcement, 10/04/2018.
Time-In-Grade Requirement: Applicants who are current Federal employees and have held a GS grade any time in the past 52 weeks must also meet time-in-grade requirements by the closing date of this announcement. For a GS-06 position you must have served 52 weeks at the GS-05. The grade may have been in any occupation, but must have been held in the Federal service. An SF-50 that shows your time-in-grade eligibility must be submitted with your application materials. Note:Time-In-Grade requirements also apply to former Federal employees applying for reinstatement as well as current employees applying for Veterans Employment Opportunities Act of 1998 (VEOA) appointment.
You may qualify based on your experience as described below: * Specialized Experience: You must have one year of specialized experience equivalent to at least the next lower grade GS-05 in the normal line of progression for the occupation in the organization. Examples of specialized experience would typically include, but are not limited to: Proficient with the the Veterans Health Information & Technology Architecture (VistA) System and its different facets applicable to the eligibility processes. Knowledge of varied functions of computer spreadsheets, database computer applications etc. to produce and maintain a wide variety of documents, Broad knowledge and experience in the field of patient administration both inpatient and outpatient, including medical records and related fields of medical administration You will be rated on the following Competencies for this position:
- Computer Skills
- Critical Thinking
- Customer Service
- Organizational Stewardship
Experience refers to paid and unpaid experience, including volunteer work done through National Service programs (e.g., Peace Corps, AmeriCorps) and other organizations (e.g., professional; philanthropic; religions; spiritual; community; student; social). Volunteer work helps build critical competencies, knowledge, and skills and can provide valuable training and experience that translates directly to paid employment. You will receive credit for all qualifying experience, including volunteer experience.
Note: A full year of work is considered to be 35-40 hours of work per week. Part-time experience will be credited on the basis of time actually spent in appropriate activities. Applicants wishing to receive credit for such experience must indicate clearly the nature of their duties and responsibilities in each position and the number of hours a week spent in such employment.
Physical Requirements:The work is primarily sedentary. Some periodic walking, sitting, lifting and carrying of light items such as instructional materials, books and manuals are required.
There is no educational substitution at this grade level.
Placement Policy: The posting of this announcement does not obligate management to fill a vacancy or vacancies by promotion. The position may be filled by reassignment, change to lower grade, transfer, appointment, or reinstatement. Management may use any one or any combination of these methods to fill the position.
It is the policy of the VA to not deny employment to those that have faced financial hardships or periods of unemployment.
This job opportunity announcement may be used to fill additional vacancies.
For more information on the "Who may apply" eligibility requirements, please refer to the OHRM Status Candidates and Other Candidate Definitions document.
How You Will Be Evaluated
You will be evaluated for this job based on how well you meet the qualifications above.
IN DESCRIBING YOUR EXPERIENCE, PLEASE BE CLEAR AND SPECIFIC. WE WILL NOT MAKE ASSUMPTIONS REGARDING YOUR EXPERIENCE.
Narrative responses are not required at this time. If you are referred for consideration, you may be asked to submit additional job related information, which may include, but not limited to; responses to the knowledge, skills and abilities; completion of a work sample, and/or contact for an interview.Your resume and/or supporting documentation will be verified. Resumes must include employers name, city/state location and dates worked to and from (mon/yr), errors or omissions may affect your rating or consideration for employment. Please follow all instructions carefully.
Background checks and security clearance
Public Trust - Background Investigation
Drug test required
- Required Documents
To apply for this position, you must provide a complete Application Package which includes:
Resumes must include employers name, city/state location and dates worked to and from (mon/yr), errors or omissions may affect your rating or consideration for employment. Please follow all instructions carefully.
The following documents are accepted, and may be required if applicable to your eligibility and/or qualifications for this position. Please use this checklist to make sure you have included other documents required for your application, such as a copy of your transcript (if using education to qualify), SF-50's (current/former Federal employees), documentation to support Veterans Preference claims, or ICTAP/CTAP documentation (for displaced Federal employees). You will not be contacted for additional information.
If you are relying on your education to meet qualification requirements:
Education must be accredited by an accrediting institution recognized by the U.S. Department of Education in order for it to be credited towards qualifications. Therefore, provide only the attendance and/or degrees from schools accredited by accrediting institutions recognized by the U.S. Department of Education.
Failure to provide all of the required information as stated in this vacancy announcement may result in an ineligible rating or may affect the overall rating.
A career with the U.S. Government provides employees with a comprehensive benefits package. As a federal employee, you and your family will have access to a range of benefits that are designed to make your federal career very rewarding. Learn more about federal benefits.
Review our benefits
Eligibility for benefits depends on the type of position you hold and whether your position is full-time, part-time, or intermittent. Contact the hiring agency for more information on the specific benefits offered.
- How to Apply
How to Apply
All applicants are encouraged to apply online.To apply for this position, you must complete the questionnaire and submit the documentation specified in the Required Documents section below. The complete application package must be submitted by 11:59 PM (ET) on 10/04/2018 to receive consideration. To preview the questionnaire click https://apply.usastaffing.gov/ViewQuestionnaire/10299696.
- To begin, click Apply Online to create a USA JOBS account or log in to your existing account. Follow the prompts to select your USA JOBS resume and/or other supporting documents and complete the occupational questionnaire.
- Click Submit My Answers to submit your application package. NOTE: It is your responsibility to ensure your responses and appropriate documentation is submitted prior to the closing date. To verify your application is complete, log into your USA JOBS account, https://my.usajobs.gov/Account/Login, select the Application Status link and then select the more information link for this position. The Application page will display the status of your application, the documentation received and processed, and any correspondence the agency has sent related to this application. Your uploaded documents may take several hours to clear the virus scan process. To return to an incomplete application, log into your USA JOBS account and click Update Application in the vacancy announcement. You must re-select your resume and/or other documents from your USA JOBS account or your application will be incomplete.
Agency contact information
Pittsburgh VA Medical Center 1010 Delafield Road Pittsburgh, PA 15215 US
Learn more about this agency
Once your online application is submitted you will receive a confirmation notification by email. After we receive application packages (including all required documents) and the vacancy announcement closes, we will review applications to ensure qualification and eligibility requirements are met. After the review is complete, a referral certificate(s) is issued and applicants will be notified of their status by email. Referred applicants will be notified as such and may be contacted directly by the hiring office for an interview. All referred applicants receive a final notification once a selection decision has been made.
You may check the status of your application at any time by logging into your USA Jobs account and clicking on Applications. Information regarding your application status can be found in the USAJobs Help Center.
- Fair & Transparent
Fair & Transparent
The Federal hiring process is setup to be fair and transparent. Please read the following guidance.
Equal Employment Opportunity Policy
The United States Government does not discriminate in employment on the basis of race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy and gender identity), national origin, political affiliation, sexual orientation, marital status, disability, genetic information, age, membership in an employee organization, retaliation, parental status, military service, or other non-merit factor.
- Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) for federal employees & job applicants
Reasonable Accommodation Policy
Federal agencies must provide reasonable accommodation to applicants with disabilities where appropriate. Applicants requiring reasonable accommodation for any part of the application process should follow the instructions in the job opportunity announcement. For any part of the remaining hiring process, applicants should contact the hiring agency directly. Determinations on requests for reasonable accommodation will be made on a case-by-case basis.
A reasonable accommodation is any change to a job, the work environment, or the way things are usually done that enables an individual with a disability to apply for a job, perform job duties or receive equal access to job benefits.
Under the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, federal agencies must provide reasonable accommodations when:
- An applicant with a disability needs an accommodation to have an equal opportunity to apply for a job.
- An employee with a disability needs an accommodation to perform the essential job duties or to gain access to the workplace.
- An employee with a disability needs an accommodation to receive equal access to benefits, such as details, training, and office-sponsored events.
You can request a reasonable accommodation at any time during the application or hiring process or while on the job. Requests are considered on a case-by-case basis.
Learn more about disability employment and reasonable accommodations or how to contact an agency.
Legal and regulatory guidance
- Financial suitability
- Social security number request
- Privacy Act
- Signature and false statements
- Selective Service
- New employee probationary period
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/510927000. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.
Open & closing dates: 09/14/2018 to 10/04/2018
Pay scale & grade: GS 6
Salary: $38,184 to $49,635 per year
Appointment type: Permanent
Work schedule: Full-Time