Commander, Navy Installations CYP Program Assistant - Entry in Naval Air Station Oceana, Virginia
The purpose of the CY Program Assistant is to provide appropriate developmental care and instruction for children and youth ranging in age from 6 weeks to 18 years in one or more CY programs. This position is located at the Youth Center, on Oceana Naval Air Station, in Virginia Beach, Va.
Learn more about this agency
The duties and responsibilities of the CY Program Assistant have been grouped into categories, including curriculum, indoor and outdoor environment, interactions and relationships, supervision of children and youth, parent and employee communication, assessment, compliance, and additional responsibilities. Each is described below.
Assists in implementing and leading planned activities for program participants. Uses prepared curriculum and program materials. Incorporates special instructions provided by parents such as special dietary needs, physical needs, or other information that may affect the child or youth's experience in the program. Cares for children and youth with special needs as directed by the supervisor.
Promotes and models safety, fitness, health, and nutrition practices.
Helps arrange for and/or serve appropriate snacks or meals where applicable.
Indoor and Outdoor Environment
Helps prepare, arrange, and maintain indoor and outdoor activity areas and materials to accommodate daily schedules.
Helps create adult-made games and play materials (mixing paint and play dough and assembling props for dramatic plays, activities, etc.).
Assists with developing a list of needed supplies and equipment for submission to the supervisor.
Interactions and Relationships
Helps establish a program environment that promotes positive interactions with other children, youth, and adults.
Interacts with children and youth using approved child guidance and youth development techniques as provided by supervisors.
Supervision of Children and Youth
Provides care and supervision, oversight, and accountability for program participants in compliance with the Department of Defense (DoD), NAF Component, and local installation policies, guidance, and standards.
Maintains control of and accounts for whereabouts and safety of children and youth ranging in age from 6 weeks to 18 years. Ensures children and youth (as applicable) depart with authorized person according to written parental instructions.
Supervises children and youth during daily schedule of indoor and outdoor activities and on field trips, outings, and special events.
Observes program participants for signs that may indicate illness, abuse, or neglect and reports as directed. Incumbent is a mandatory reporter to Family Advocacy and Child Protective Services as prescribed by local policy in the case of suspected incidences of child abuse and neglect.
Parent and Employee Communication
Interacts professionally with employees, parents, and local installation command personnel.
Participates in program evaluation as required.
Assists in achieving and maintaining DoD certification and national accreditation where applicable.
Ensures compliance with law, policies, and regulations applicable to DoD CY programs.
Notifies supervisor of health, fire, and safety compliance concerns.
Assists in maintaining program participation data and completing required reports.
Performs other related duties as assigned.
- #### Job family (Series)
1702 Education And Training Technician
Conditions of Employment
- Must be at least 18 years of age
- This position is subject to pre-employment and random drug test
Specialized experience must demonstrate the following:
- In accordance with the Deparment of the Navy Test Designated Position listing issued 7 October 2003 this position is subject to both pre-employment and random drug testing as a condition of employment. A positive drug test, or failure to submit for testing, may become the basis for removal from this position.
- Position is subject to special inoculation an immunization requirements as a conditon of employment for working with children. Employee is required to obtain appropriate immunization against communicable diseases in accordance with recommendations from the Advisory Committe on Immunization Practices (ACIP), which includes the influenza vaccine.
- High School Diploma or equivalent must be attached.
We utilize E-Verify to confirm selectee’s eligibility to work in the United States.
Salary is dependent on experience and/or education.
For positions requiring travel more than twice per year, selectee may be required to obtain and maintain in good standing a Government-issued Travel Card for official government travel purposes.
The Department of the Navy (DON) is an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer. Applicants are assured of equal consideration regardless of race, color, national origin, religion, sex, age, mental or physical disability, genetic information, reprisal, marital status, political affiliation, sexual orientation, or any other non-merit factor. This agency provides reasonable accommodations to applicants with disabilities. Applicants with disabilities who believe they may require reasonable accommodations should email their request to email@example.com to ensure proper consideration is given. The decision on granting reasonable accommodation will be on a case-by-case basis.
This activity is a Drug-Free workplace. The use of illegal drugs by NAF employees, whether on or off duty, cannot and will not be tolerated. Federal employees have a right to a safe and secure workplace, and Sailors, their family members, and all other customers have a right to a reliable and productive Federal workforce. NOTE: Marijuana is a Schedule I drug under the Controlled Substances Act and therefore use of marijuana is illegal under Federal law regardless of State laws. A positive drug test result for marijuana (or any other drug tested for) will result in withdrawal of the tentative job offer and ineligibility to apply for a position within the Department of Defense for 6 months from the date of the drug test.
How You Will Be Evaluated
You will be evaluated for this job based on how well you meet the qualifications above.
All resumes will be reviewed to determine if they meet the hiring eligibility and qualification requirements listed in this announcement, and will be rated based on the information provided in the resume to determine the level of knowledge, skill, and ability, related to the job requirements. Using the qualifications of the position, a predetermined rating criterion of knowledge, skills, and abilities will be used for each resume. Best qualified applicants will be referred to the hiring manager. The selecting official may choose to conduct interviews.
Click the following link to preview the applicant questionnaire: Preview Applicant Questionnaire.
Background checks and security clearance
Q - Nonsensitive
Drug test required
- Required Documents
- USAJobs Resume
- DD Form 2981. Statement of Admission. http://www.dtic.mil/whs/directives/forms/eforms/dd2981.pdf
- Proof of education (transcripts/copy of degree/high school diploma), if applicable to position requirements.
- If claiming Veteran’s Preference, a legible copy of DD-214 (page 4) as well as any other supporting documentation (disability, proof of service, SF-15, etc). is required.
- If claiming Military Spouse Preference, a copy of sponsor's orders is required for NF-03 and below or equivalent.
- If claiming Department of Defense (DOD) Non-appropriated Fund (NAF) Business Based Action (BBA) Priority consideration, submit a copy of the notice of separation.
- If you are a current federal employee, submit your most recent Personnel Action Report (PAR) or SF-50.
If you are relying on your education to meet qualification requirements:
Education must be accredited by an accrediting institution recognized by the U.S. Department of Education in order for it to be credited towards qualifications. Therefore, provide only the attendance and/or degrees from schools accredited by accrediting institutions recognized by the U.S. Department of Education.
Failure to provide all of the required information as stated in this vacancy announcement may result in an ineligible rating or may affect the overall rating.
A career with the U.S. Government provides employees with a comprehensive benefits package. As a federal employee, you and your family will have access to a range of benefits that are designed to make your federal career very rewarding. Learn more about federal benefits.
The Federal government offers a number of exceptional benefits to its employees. Benefits you get to enjoy while working for our TEAM include but are not limited to:
- Comprehensive benefits package (medical, dental, life insurance, spouse & dependent life insurance, long-term disability, retirement, and 401(k) savings plan, annual and sick leave, tuition reimbursement, etc.).
- Stability of Federal Civilian Service
- People with passion for doing work that matters
- Quality of Work Life Balance
Review our benefits
Eligibility for benefits depends on the type of position you hold and whether your position is full-time, part-time, or intermittent. Contact the hiring agency for more information on the specific benefits offered.
- How to Apply
How to Apply
To begin the process, click on the Apply Online button to create an account or log in to your existing USAJOBS account.
Please see the "REQUIRED DOCUMENTS" section and review the applicant checklist link to determine if there are other documents you are required to submit. You must submit all required documentation or you will not be considered for the position.
- Check the status of the application system and maintenance schedule here: status.fhrnavigator.com
- If you experience technical difficulties applying online, report it here: firstname.lastname@example.org. The support inbox is monitored Monday through Friday, from 8 AM ET until 6 PM ET.
- Make sure your status in USAJOBS is 'Received' after you submit your application to ensure it was submitted successfully.
Agency contact information
Commander, Navy Region Mid-Atlantic
Commander, Navy Installations Command 1510 Gilbert Street Norfolk, VA 23511 USA
Learn more about this agency
All applicants will be notified regarding their status by email. Applicants will either be contacted for an interview or sent an email of non-selection 3-6 weeks after the announcement closing date. Please notify us if your contact information changes after the closing date of the announcement. Also, note that if you provide an inaccurate email address or if your mailbox is full or blocked (e.g., spam-blocker), you may not receive important communication that could affect your consideration for this position.
- Fair & Transparent
Fair & Transparent
The Federal hiring process is setup to be fair and transparent. Please read the following guidance.
Equal Employment Opportunity Policy
The United States Government does not discriminate in employment on the basis of race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy and gender identity), national origin, political affiliation, sexual orientation, marital status, disability, genetic information, age, membership in an employee organization, retaliation, parental status, military service, or other non-merit factor.
- Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) for federal employees & job applicants
Reasonable Accommodation Policy
Federal agencies must provide reasonable accommodation to applicants with disabilities where appropriate. Applicants requiring reasonable accommodation for any part of the application process should follow the instructions in the job opportunity announcement. For any part of the remaining hiring process, applicants should contact the hiring agency directly. Determinations on requests for reasonable accommodation will be made on a case-by-case basis.
A reasonable accommodation is any change to a job, the work environment, or the way things are usually done that enables an individual with a disability to apply for a job, perform job duties or receive equal access to job benefits.
Under the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, federal agencies must provide reasonable accommodations when:
- An applicant with a disability needs an accommodation to have an equal opportunity to apply for a job.
- An employee with a disability needs an accommodation to perform the essential job duties or to gain access to the workplace.
- An employee with a disability needs an accommodation to receive equal access to benefits, such as details, training, and office-sponsored events.
You can request a reasonable accommodation at any time during the application or hiring process or while on the job. Requests are considered on a case-by-case basis.
Learn more about disability employment and reasonable accommodations or how to contact an agency.
Legal and regulatory guidance
- Financial suitability
- Social security number request
- Privacy Act
- Signature and false statements
- Selective Service
- New employee probationary period
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/513643900. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.
Open & closing dates: 10/12/2018 to 10/18/2018
Pay scale & grade: CY 1 - 3
Salary: $11.68 to $18.59 per hour
Appointment type: Permanent
Work schedule: Full-Time - Full Time