Veterans Affairs, Veterans Health Administration LVN in Fresno, California
The Licensed Vocational Nurse (LVN) works in the Clinical Care Support Section of Medicine Service under the direction of the Head Nurse at the VA Central California Healthcare System (VACCHCS). The LVN provides direct patient care services to a variety of specialty areas based on their team assignment and is expected to demonstrate skills in providing a full range of practical nursing care to patients.
Learn more about this agency
Duties of the position include but are not limited to:
- Observe, identify and respond to the patient's needs for care, including medication, equipment-assisted care and patient/family education;
- Demonstrate active collaboration, communication and problem solving with team, patient and patient's family;
- Provide effective education to patients and/or family members in relation to common disease processes, medication, and/or prescribed treatment regimen;
- Use judgment in selecting the appropriate order and sequence of procedures and treatments;
- Prepare and administer prescribed medications (oral, topical, subcutaneous, intramuscular and/or intravenous) and perform treatments according to established policies/procedures;
- Effectively incorporate knowledge and understanding of established customer service standards in all interactions with patients, family members, and/or other internal/external customers;
- Plan, prioritize, and complete tasks based on established policy, regulations and local practices;
- Provide effective communication via telephone to meet a variety of patient care needs such as: follow up calls to patients, responding to patient inquiries, post hospital and ED calls, pre- clinic visit calls etc.;
- Complete preventive screenings with appropriate Clinical reminders with appropriate consults, follow ups and alerts as indicated
- Assist with minor procedures, including obtaining and arranging necessary equipment, positioning patient, ensuring comfort and privacy; and
- Other duties as assigned.
Work Schedule: Monday-Friday, 8:00AM - 4:30PM Fi*nancial Disclosure Report:* Not required
- #### Job family (Series)
0620 Practical Nurse
- Licensed Practical And Licensed Vocational Nurses
- Licensed Practical Nurses
- Licenses Vocational Nurses
Nurses, Licensed Practical
Conditions of Employment
- You must be a U.S. Citizen to apply for this job
- Designated and/or random drug testing may be required
- Selective Service Registration is required for males born after 12/31/1959
- You may be required to serve a probationary period
- Subject to a background/security investigation
- Must be proficient in written and spoken English
Basic Requirements: * United States Citizenship: Non-citizens may only be appointed when it is not possible to recruit qualified citizens in accordance with VA Policy. * Education.Graduate of a school of practical or vocational nursing approved by the appropriate State agency and/or accredited by the National League for Nursing Accrediting Commission (NLNAC) at the time the program was completed by the applicant. Verification can be obtained from the State approving agency or the National League for Nursing [Accrediting Commission, 61 Broadway, 33rd Floor, New York, NY 10006. Additional information may also be obtained from the NLNAC Website. Exceptions include: * Health care education in the military service or training in the military service which is accepted by the licensing body in the jurisdiction in which the individual is licensed as qualifying for full LPN/LVN licensure will be accepted as meeting the education requirements for VHA employment. * VHA employees who were converted to appointments under 38 U.S.C. 7401(3) in implementation of Public Law 98-160, enacted November 21, 1983, and for VHA employees converted to appointments under 38 U.S.C. 7405 in implementation of Public Law 99-576, enacted October 28, 1986; and for their future personnel actions under this authority. The waiver will not apply to persons appointed under 38 U.S.C. 7401(3) or 7405 after these conversions. * Individuals granted a license by a jurisdiction that does not require graduation from an approved school. . * Licensure. Full, active, current and unrestricted licensure as a licensed practical or vocational nurse in a State, Territory or Commonwealth (i.e., Puerto Rico) of the United States, or District of Columbia. An LPN/LVN who has or has ever had, any license(s) revoked, suspended, denied, restricted, limited, or issued/placed in a probationary status may be appointed only in accordance with VA Policy. * English Language Proficiency. Licensed practical or vocational nurses appointed to direct patient care positions must be proficient in both spoken and written English as required by 38 U.S.C. 7402(d), and 7407(d). Preferred Experience: 2-3 years of experience as an LVN is preferred.
Grade Determinations: In addition to the basic requirements stated in section A, the following qualification criteria must be met for each grade. The candidate's qualifications must clearly demonstrate the level of competence required for the grade.
GS-3. None beyond the basic requirements. GS-4. Employees may be appointed at or advanced to GS-4 if they meet any of the criteria in paragraphs 3b(2)(a) through (c) below: * Six months of qualifying experience as an LPN or LVN; or * Graduation from an approved school (which may be waived as provided in VA Policy) and one year of experience that involved nursing care work in a hospital, outpatient clinic, nursing home, or other supervised medical, nursing, or patient care facility that provided a practical knowledge of human body structure and sterile techniques and procedures; or * Graduation from an approved school of at least 24 months duration. GS-5 * Completion of at least 1 year of qualifying experience at the GS-4 level or equivalent and * Demonstrated knowledge, skills and abilities (KSA's) for the GS-5 grade level. (Note: These can be found in VA Handbook 5005, Appendix G13, LVN Qualification standards. GS-6 * Completion of at least one (1) year of additional qualifying experience at the GS-5 level or equivalent , fully meeting all performance requirements for the GS-5 LPN/LVN, and * Demonstrated knowledge, skills and abilities (KSA's) for the GS-6 grade level. (Note: These can be found in VA Handbook 5005, Appendix G13, LVN Qualification standards. References: VA Handbook 5005, Part II, Appendix G13 Qualification Standard. This can be found in the local Human Resources Office.
The full performance level of this vacancy is GS-6. The actual grade at which an applicant may be selected for this vacancy is in the range of GS-3 to GS-6.
Physical Requirements:Heavy Lifting (45 lbs and over); Heavy Carrying (45 lbs and over); Straight Pulling (7 to 8 hours); Pushing (7 to 8 hours); Reaching above shoulder; Use of fingers; Both hands required; Walking (7 to 8 hours); Standing (1 hour); kneeling (1 hour); Repeated bending (7 to 8 hours); both legs required; Ability for rapid mental and muscular coordination simultaneously; Near vision correctable at 13" to 16"; far vision correctable in one eye to 20/20 and to 20/40 in the other; Hearing (aid permitted); emotional/ mental stability.
IMPORTANT:A transcript must be submitted with your application if you are basing all or part of your qualifications on education.
Note:Only education or degrees recognized by the U.S. Department of Education from accredited colleges, universities, schools, or institutions may be used to qualify for Federal employment. You can verify your education here: http://ope.ed.gov/accreditation/. If you are using foreign education to meet qualification requirements, you must send a Certificate of Foreign Equivalency with your transcript in order to receive credit for that education. For further information, visit: http://www.ed.gov/about/offices/list/ous/international/usnei/us/edlite-visitus-forrecog.html.
This job opportunity announcement may be used to fill additional vacancies.
It is the policy of the VA to not deny employment to those that have faced financial hardships or periods of unemployment.
This position is in the Excepted Service and does not confer competitive status.
VA encourages persons with disabilities to apply. The health related positions in VA are covered by Title 38, and are not covered by the Schedule A excepted appointment authority.
Veterans and Transitioning Service Members: Please visit the VA for Vets site for career-search tools for Veterans seeking employment at VA, career development services for our existing Veterans, and coaching and reintegration support for military service members.
If you are unable to apply online view the following link for information regarding an Alternate Application.
How You Will Be Evaluated
You will be evaluated for this job based on how well you meet the qualifications above.
IN DESCRIBING YOUR EXPERIENCE, PLEASE BE CLEAR AND SPECIFIC. WE MAY NOT MAKE ASSUMPTIONS REGARDING YOUR EXPERIENCE.Your application, résumé, C.V., and/or supporting documentation will be verified. Please follow all instructions carefully. Errors or omissions may affect consideration for employment.
NOTE: The Professional Standards Board (a peer-review group) will review the selected candidate's education and experience and recommend the grade and salary at which the candidate will be placed. For internal selectees eligible for promotion, the board will determine grade and HR will determine step in accordance with policy.
Experience refers to paid and unpaid experience, including volunteer work done through National Service programs (e.g., Peace Corps, AmeriCorps) and other organizations (e.g., professional; philanthropic; religions; spiritual; community; student; social). Volunteer work helps build critical competencies, knowledge, and skills and can provide valuable training and experience that translates directly to paid employment. You will receive credit for all qualifying experience, including volunteer experience.
Background checks and security clearance
Drug test required
- Required Documents
To apply for this position, you must provide a complete Application Package which includes:
- VA Form 10-2850cApplication for Associated Health Occupations can be found at: http://www.va.gov/vaforms/searchaction.asp?FormNo=2850&tkey;=&Action;=Search.
- Transcripts:You must submit a legible copy of your transcripts in which qualify you for the position.
- SF-50: You must include a copy of your latest SF-50, Notification of Personnel Action. You may obtain this from your current Human Resources office or your e-Official Personnel Folder. The SF-50 must display: Title, Pay Plan, Occ Code, Grade, tenure, and Position Occupied. This includes ICTAP/CTAP documentation for displaced Federal employees, to include a copy of the agency notice in addition to your last SF-50.
If you are relying on your education to meet qualification requirements:
Education must be accredited by an accrediting institution recognized by the U.S. Department of Education in order for it to be credited towards qualifications. Therefore, provide only the attendance and/or degrees from schools accredited by accrediting institutions recognized by the U.S. Department of Education.
Failure to provide all of the required information as stated in this vacancy announcement may result in an ineligible rating or may affect the overall rating.
A career with the U.S. Government provides employees with a comprehensive benefits package. As a federal employee, you and your family will have access to a range of benefits that are designed to make your federal career very rewarding. Learn more about federal benefits.
Review our benefits
Eligibility for benefits depends on the type of position you hold and whether your position is full-time, part-time, or intermittent. Contact the hiring agency for more information on the specific benefits offered.
- How to Apply
How to Apply
All applicants are encouraged to apply online. To apply for this position, you must complete the full questionnaire and submit the documentation specified in the Required Documents section below. The complete application package must be submitted by 11:59 PM (ET) on 10/03/2018 to receive consideration.
- To begin, click Apply Online to create a USAJOBS account or log in to your existing account. Follow the prompts to select your USA JOBS resume and/or other supporting documents and complete the occupational questionnaire.
- Click Submit My Answers to submit your application package.
NOTE: It is your responsibility to ensure your responses and appropriate documentation is submitted prior to the closing date.
To verify your application is complete, log into your USA JOBS account, https://my.usajobs.gov/Account/Login, select the Application Status link and then select the more information link for this position. The Details page will display the status of your application, the documentation received and processed, and any correspondence the agency has sent related to this application. Your uploaded documents may take several hours to clear the virus scan process. To return to an incomplete application, log into your USA JOBS account and click Update Application in the vacancy announcement. You must re-select your resume and/or other documents from your USA JOBS account or your application will be incomplete.
Agency contact information
(559) 225-6100 X5260
Fresno VA Medical Center 2615 East Clinton Avenue Fresno, CA 93703 US
Learn more about this agency
Once your online application is submitted you will receive a confirmation notification by email. After we receive application packages (including all required documents) and the vacancy announcement closes, we will review applications to ensure qualification and eligibility requirements are met. After the review is complete, a referral certificate(s) is issued and applicants will be notified of their status by email. Referred applicants will be notified as such and may be contacted directly by the hiring office for an interview. All referred applicants receive a final notification once a selection decision has been made.
You may check the status of your application at any time by logging into your USA Jobs account and clicking on Applications. Information regarding your application status can be found in the USAJobs Help Center.
- Fair & Transparent
Fair & Transparent
The Federal hiring process is setup to be fair and transparent. Please read the following guidance.
Equal Employment Opportunity Policy
The United States Government does not discriminate in employment on the basis of race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy and gender identity), national origin, political affiliation, sexual orientation, marital status, disability, genetic information, age, membership in an employee organization, retaliation, parental status, military service, or other non-merit factor.
- Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) for federal employees & job applicants
Reasonable Accommodation Policy
Federal agencies must provide reasonable accommodation to applicants with disabilities where appropriate. Applicants requiring reasonable accommodation for any part of the application process should follow the instructions in the job opportunity announcement. For any part of the remaining hiring process, applicants should contact the hiring agency directly. Determinations on requests for reasonable accommodation will be made on a case-by-case basis.
A reasonable accommodation is any change to a job, the work environment, or the way things are usually done that enables an individual with a disability to apply for a job, perform job duties or receive equal access to job benefits.
Under the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, federal agencies must provide reasonable accommodations when:
- An applicant with a disability needs an accommodation to have an equal opportunity to apply for a job.
- An employee with a disability needs an accommodation to perform the essential job duties or to gain access to the workplace.
- An employee with a disability needs an accommodation to receive equal access to benefits, such as details, training, and office-sponsored events.
You can request a reasonable accommodation at any time during the application or hiring process or while on the job. Requests are considered on a case-by-case basis.
Learn more about disability employment and reasonable accommodations or how to contact an agency.
Legal and regulatory guidance
- Financial suitability
- Social security number request
- Privacy Act
- Signature and false statements
- Selective Service
- New employee probationary period
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/510848000. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.
Open & closing dates: 09/13/2018 to 10/03/2018
Pay scale & grade: GS 00
Salary: $26,587 to $48,385 per year
Appointment type: Permanent
Work schedule: Full-Time