City of Hope Medical Surgical East Hospital C Clinical Nurse III - BSN Part Time Days in Duarte, California
Title: Medical Surgical Clinical Nurse III BSN East Hospital C Part Time Days
About City of Hope
City of Hope, an innovative biomedical research, treatment and educational institution with over 5,000 employees, is dedicated to the prevention and cure of cancer and other life-threatening diseases and guided by a compassionate, patient-centered philosophy.
Founded in 1913 and headquartered in Duarte, California, City of Hope is a remarkable non-profit institution, where compassion and advanced care go hand-in-hand with excellence in clinical and scientific research. City of Hope is a National Cancer Institute designated Comprehensive Cancer Center and a founding member of the National Comprehensive Cancer Network, an alliance of the nation's 20 leading cancer centers that develops and institutes standards of care for cancer treatment.
The registered professional nurse integrates and practices according to the City of Hope Professional Practice Model to deliver care service excellence. In alignment with City of Hope mission and values, the Division of Nursing and Patient Care Services vision and mission, and with continuous focus on the patient, family and community, carries out the nursing process, coordinates interdisciplinary care planning, documents according to standards, including validation of the patient and caregiver's understanding of the plan of care and expected outcomes. The nurse is a change agent, committed to lifelong learning, professional development and embodiment of City of Hope organizational mission and values, and the values and ethos of the profession of nursing.
- Understands and applies the City of Hope Code of Conduct, Code of Organizational Ethics, policies, procedures, performance and quality improvement objectives, promotion of a culture of service excellence, attendance, safety, environmental and infection control guidelines. Maintains integrity and confidentiality.
Accepts the tenets of professional nursing practice and maintaining healthy interpersonal relationships (Manthey, 1969, 2014; Kouloroutis 2004, 2009; O'Rourke, 2013)
Responsibility, Authority and Accountability
- Commitment to my Coworkers©
- Role Based Practice
Demonstrates competent understanding of and application of
The Swanson Model of Caring and Healing© (Kristen Swanson, 2013 [used with permission])
- The City of Hope Quality of Life Model (Ferrell prc.coh.org)
Demonstrates competent application of the nursing process according to the Role Based Practice model:
- Diagnosis / condition
- Plan of care
- Teach / Inform
- Dynamic interaction (circularity) among steps a f
- Assess patient level of stability and interrelatedness of direct and indirect RN provided care / dose of care
Demonstrates a high level of professional practice which supports the delivery of care excellence, extraordinary outcomes for our patients, families and communities, and fosters collaboration and teamwork to achieve positive working relationships with all nurses, advanced practice providers, physicians, allied health and support staff members, with attention to self-care and healthy work / life balance.
Demonstrates competent understanding of the overall plan of care and coordinates the nursing plan of care
Consults and collaborates with other disciplines to modify the plan of care as necessary and to ensure optimal patient care and outcomes
- Assists members of the health care team with examinations, procedures and other processes related to direct patient care.
- Administers and controls medications and infusions, including narcotics, chemotherapy and biologic therapies, blood component transfusions, etc.
- The professional registered nurse maintains a safe, comfortable and therapeutic environment for patients and families.
Education / Patient , family, community and self
Demonstrates competent assessment of patient and family including an assessment of healthcare literacy and identification of factors within the domains of the City of Hope Quality of Life model, which may impact the patient's ability to comprehend and internalize patient education.The professional registered nurse intervenes to facilitate understanding, address and minimize or eliminate barriers and to provide patient centered education which is accessible and meaningful to the patient.
The professional registered nurse
Employs the teach back method to validate the patient's understanding of education.
- Includes the designated caregiver in the patient / family education.
- Is encouraged to recognize that we are part of many communities and, as a professional role responsibility, to participate in the education of our communities about health, wellness, prevention and continuum of care issues relevant to the communities.
- Uses evidence-based practice and best available research to inform practice
Enhances professional growth and development
Participates in unit based projects and activities, staff meetings, councils, work teams
- Reviews current literature, attends educational programs, workshops and inservices
- Actively participates in shared decision-making / participative leadership through councils, committees, work teams, task forces, and unit-based practice councils.
- The professional registered nurse is committed to lifelong learning, and as such, is encouraged to continually pursue education, both formal and informal, to achieve and exceed the minimum expected level of education for the professional registered nurse (the Bachelor's degree). The registered professional nurse is also required by California state law to attend continuing professional education to maintain licensure and City of Hope encourages nurses to pursue all venues of nursing and other intellectual enrichment.
Precepts new RNs and nursing students in exemplary professional practice
- Mentors and coaches new and existing RN staff and ancillary support staff
- Functions in Charge RN role
- Strives to provide excellence in patient and staff experience
Uses systems, electronic and other documentation according to standards and organizational policy and procedure to ensure and maintain an accurate record of nursing care.
- Effectively uses and applies information technology to give and receive information (e.g. email, basic Microsoft Office applications, LMS (learning management systems) access, information on Share point or other web-based applications).
- Maintains professional portfolio, per clinical ladder requirements.
Follows established City of Hope and department policies, procedures, objectives, performance improvement, attendance, safety, environmental, and infection control guidelines, includingadherence to theworkplaceCode of Conduct, Compliance Plan, and organizational dress code. Practices a high level of integrity and honesty. Maintains confidentiality.
Performs other related duties as assigned or requested.
- If hired before May 1, 2012: Graduate from nursing school with a diploma, Associate Degree or Bachelor's Degree in Nursing. If hired after May 1, 2012, Bachelor's Degree or Master's degree in Nursing is required.
- Three to five years related experience
- Current California RN license
- Basic Life Support (BLS) CPR Card through American Heart Association
- Please see grid for ACLS & PALS requirement on page 5
- Master's degree in Nursing or related field
- National certification (must be obtained within three years of hire and must be maintained thereafter in order to retain CN III status)
- Must have excellent oral and written communication and organizational skills
- Bilingual preferred
- Demonstrates cultural competence
- Maintains professional appearance, per dress code policy
- Demonstrates outward manifestations of City of Hope culture of excellence
- Compile data
- Conduct analyses
- Make recommendations based on data
- Competent use of Microsoft Office Suite (Word, Excel, Power Point). Use of email and other electronic media forms of communications is a position requirement.
- Office equipment (such as telephone, calculator, facsimile)
- Procedural and medical equipment and devices (such as EKG machine, nebulizers, and other diagnostic equipment and instruments)
- Use of all lifting and transfer devices (full lifts, patient assisted lifts, transfer sheets and devices, wheelchairs, gurneys, etc.)
- Note: California law requires that nurses and other allied health professionals who assist in the lifting and transferring of patients do not perform a lift without the appropriate level of assistance and support such as second assisting staff member, and the use of appropriate lift or transfer equipment. To disregard this law may result in immediate termination .
Working / Environmental Conditions:
- Atmosphere and environment associated with patient care area
- May be exposed to infectious and contagious diseases
- May be exposed to radioactive or biohazardous agents
- May be exposed to unpleasant patient or unit conditions
- Subject to varying and unpredictable situations and hours
- Potential exposure to mutagenic substances
- Requires judgment/action which could result in death of patient
- Subject to many interruptions
- Subject to regularly changing priorities and work assignments
- Subject to situations involving grief processes & related issues
- Subject to varying and unpredictable situations
- Frequent pressure due to multiple calls and inquiries
- Covers varied shifts, weekends and holidays
Req. Protective Equipment:
- Eye protection / goggles / masks
- Gown / non-sterile gloves and sterile gloves
- If chemotherapy / biotherapy / immunotherapy is given as part of the CN III role, the nurse must take initial training and maintain additional training and competency validation every two years (per policy)
- Color vision: ability to distinguish and identify different colors
- Ongoing reaching, stooping, bending, kneeling, crouching, repetitive motions, manual dexterity and mobility
- Extensive, prolonged or considerable standing and walking
- Physical lifting effort is limited to lift / carry of maximum _50_ pounds
- Lifting and transferring of patients is noted above
City of Hope is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, status as a protected veteran, or status as a qualified individual with disability.