WestCare JOURNEY COUNSELOR in Corcoran, California
Position Summary:Person in this position will be responsible for the delivery of face-to-face program activities and services to inmates participating in the program.
Essential Job Functions:
- Deliver treatment services to the participants;
- Conduct group and individual meetings;
- Evaluate the progress of the participants assigned to their groups;
- Work directly with the participants to develop and implement a treatment service plan;
- Work with the participant to create a support network for the participant’s pending return to the community; and
- Shall work collaboratively with the CDCR and institutional staff.
- Complete assessment of each inmate;
- Initiate and sustain each individual’s motivation to participate in treatment, using techniques of engagement including therapeutic relationships, individual counseling, and brief interventions based on the stages of change;
- Maintenance of individual client treatment files in accordance with agency policies and procedures, including documentation of vocational/educational activities as well as all other pertinent documentation and ensure files are securely stored;
- General inmate supervision including planning and scheduling therapeutic activities;
- Provide mentoring to Facilitators;
- Maintain all information according to the laws of confidentiality as required by the Federal Register, General Provisions, Title 42, Chapter 1, Part 2, which prohibits making disclosures without the specific written consent of the client, or as otherwise permitted by such regulations;
- Maintain thorough records of each inmate’s participation, including Participant CDC Number, unique identifier for the WestCare Long Term Offender Pilot Program, beginning and ending dates of service; number of hours of participation, and number of days of participation;
- Submit all individual client data on a weekly basis for entry into the WestCare database;
- Attend a CDC 40 hour orientation training that is required of new CDC employees, pursuant to CCR Title 15 Section 3435;
- Attend all required staff development training, including CDC’s Cross-Training, and WestCare in-service training such as conducting assessments, clinical skills, developing service plans, basic TC concepts, emotional incarceration, relapse prevention, motivation for treatment and stages of change, cognitive skills, conflict resolution, social skills, moral development, communicable diseases, and self-help groups;
- Embrace and embody the mission, vision, guiding principles, clinical vision and goals of WestCare Foundation; and
- Perform any other duties as assigned.
- Experience consisting of one (1) year of providing direct substance abuse counseling services to the offender population is required;
- Must be certified as an AOD Counselor with a certifying body recognized by DHCS;
- Must be culturally/linguistically sensitive to populations served;
- Knowledge of offender populations, criminal subcultures, and cultural differences, substance abuse assessment tools, therapeutic community concepts;
- Must have the ability to obtain and maintain CDCR clearance;
- Must have valid driver’s license and ability to obtain and maintain WestCare’s vehicle insurance; and
- CPR Certification, First Aid Certification and an Annual Tuberculosis test.
- Graduation from an accredited four-year college with a degree in Addiction Counseling, Criminal Justice, Social Work, Psychology or a related field is preferred;
- A High School diploma or its equivalent is required;
- Work is primarily performed in an office located in an in-prison treatment setting.
- The normal work routine involves no exposure to blood, body fluids, or tissues, BUT exposure or potential exposure may be required as a condition of employment. Appropriate personal protective equipment will be readily available to every employee engaged in Category II tasks;
- Occasional lifting of more than 10 pounds; and Sitting, standing, walking, reaching are performed in the normal course of the position.
Job Location: Corcoran State Prison - 4001 King - Corcoran, CA
Education Level: 4 Year Degree