Washington State DSHS Financial Services Specialist 1, 2, or 3 in Tacoma, Washington
Are you a quick learner with a positive attitude? Do you like working in a fast paced environment? Then we have the perfect job for you.
Economic Services Administration has an opportunity for a Financial Services Specialist to join their team at the Statewide Customer Service Contact Center (CSCC) in Tacoma, WA, under the supervision of Leandra Leach. This is an In-Training opportunity for Financial Services Specialist (FSS) 1, 2, or 3. All levels of the FSS series are encouraged to apply.
As a Financial Services Specialist you will provide direct customer service on the phone and/or in person for all customers. You will determine eligibility/re-eligibility for all public assistance programs by independently conducting interviews, obtaining and reviewing information from individuals, third parties and the Community Service Division's information systems, and making final eligibility decisions based on the information obtained. Additionally you will process applications received through Washington Connection online applications, Document Management System, and process all case actions using the appropriate computer programs (ACES, ACES Online, Barcode, e-Jas, ICMS).
Some of what you'll be doing:
- Conduct intensive interviews to determine or re-determine for all public assistance programs.
- Explain program requirements, application procedures and verification needs.
- Answer all questions regarding benefits or available services
- Obtain and review necessary data, documentation and verification for each program.
- Analyze written and oral information to assist in eligibility determination.
- Detect discrepancies and clarify data through inquiries, correspondence and interviews.
- Establish over/underpayments when errors are discovered.
- Process reported changes of circumstances, assessing effect of reported changes on continuing eligibility and updating the case as necessary.
- Read and interpret the Washington Administrative Code (WAC) and procedural manuals to assist in the determination of eligibility.
- Refer clients to mandatory and optional services and to other agencies as required.
We are looking for individuals who can:
- Use personal computer and multiple computer applications, and ability to learn all available programs and web based programs.
- Ability to read and understand local, State, Regional policies, procedures, memos and directives.
- Maintain working knowledge of eligibility for all public assistance programs.
- Work effectively in a fast-paced office, and be able to demonstrate flexibility in completing multiple assignments while meeting performance standards.
- Communicate frequently and effectively with people in difficult situations, including defusing anger, calming people, working with communication challenges, discussing unpleasant options or dealing with threatening situations.
- Prioritize and perform multiple tasks in the same timeframe, handle interruptions appropriately and return to incomplete tasks.
- Ability to work in a fast paced environment with a high volume of work.
Who should apply?
Financial Services Specialist 1 | $2,544-$3,287 Professionals who possess a Bachelor's degree and who have experience examining/processing loan applications, medical insurance or rehabilitation claims, unemployment insurance claims, or in a customer service job where the major duties involve public contact, or a job providing staff support in financial eligibility determination will substitute, year for year, for education OR One year of equivalent out-of-state experience conducting financial eligibility determination for public assistance to include financial, medical and food stamp programs.
Financial Services Specialist 2 | $2,857-$3721 Professionals with six months of experience as a Financial Services Specialist 1, and completion of the agency's Financial Services Specialist Training Program OR One year of equivalent out-of-state experience conducting financial eligibility determination for public assistance to include financial, medical and food stamp programs.
Financial Services Specialist 3 | $3,140-$4,109 Professionals with nine months of experience as a Financial Services Specialist 2 OR Fifteen months of experience as a Financial Services Specialist and satisfactory completion of the agency's Financial Services Specialist Training Program.
To be considered for this opportunity, you must complete the entire application, supplemental questionnaire, and provide at least three professional references.
For questions regarding the application process for 05526, please contact Adam Seick, DSHS Recruiter.
Some jobs may require full criminal background check. Employees driving on state business must have a valid driver's license. Employees driving a privately owned vehicle on state business must have liability insurance on the privately owned vehicle.
Washington State Department of Social & Health Services is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of age, sex, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity/expression, marital status, race, creed, color, national origin, religion or beliefs, political affiliation, military status, honorably discharged veteran, Vietnam Era, recently separated or other protected veteran status, the presence of any sensory, mental, physical disability or the use of a trained dog guide or service animal by a person with a disability, equal pay or genetic information. Persons requiring accommodation in the application process or this job announcement in an alternative format may contact a Recruiter at (360) 902-5810. Applicants who are deaf or hard of hearing may call through Washington Relay Service by dialing 7-1-1 or 1-800-833-6388.
Salary: $2,544.00 - $4,109.00 Monthly
Location: Pierce County – Tacoma, WA
Job Type: Full Time - Permanent
Job Number: 2017-05526
Department: Dept. of Social and Health Services
Closing: 6/26/2017 11:59 PM Pacific
Agency: State of Washington
Address: View Job Posting for Agency Information View Job Posting for Location, Washington, 98504.
Phone: View Posting for Agency Contact