Leidos Data Scientist in Suitland, Maryland
Leidos is seeking an experienced Data Scientist to provide expert support on strategy, policy and technical solution development to the Office of Naval Intelligence in Suitland, MD.
• Integrate and prepare large and varied datasets, architect specialized databases and computing environments.
• Work closely with intelligence analysts, data stewards, project/program managers, and other IT teams to turn data into critical information and knowledge that can be used to make sound intelligence assessments.
• Model complex problems to discover insights and to identify opportunities using statistical, algorithmic, mining and visualization techniques.
• Propose innovative ways to look at problems by using data mining approaches on the set of available data and shall validate finding using an experimental and iterative approach.
• BS in Computer Science, Management Information Systems, or related discipline that includes coursework in probability and statistics, AND 12+ years’ experience in data modeling, data analysis, data science, etc.
• Understanding of Naval surface, subsurface, and air operations
• Proficient in one or more scripting languages, such as Perl or Python, as well as Shell scripting; OS command line instructions in LINUX and Windows
• Experience in the following areas:
o Complex database (SQL and NoSQL) queries
o Data preparation and visualization/presentation
o Data Lifecycle
o Software development skills necessary to support creation of data visualizations
o Statistical data analysis and use of data analysis tools (e.g. R)
Strong writing and presentation skills
Leidos is a global science and technology solutions leader working to solve the world's toughest challenges in the defense, intelligence, homeland security, civil, and health markets. The company's 33,000 employees support vital missions for government and commercial customers. Headquartered in Reston, Virginia, Leidos reported pro forma annual revenues of approximately $10 billion for the fiscal year ended January 1, 2016 after giving effect to the recently completed combination of Leidos with Lockheed Martin's Information Systems & Global Solutions business (IS&GS). For more information, visit www.Leidos.com. The company's diverse employees support vital missions for government and commercial customers. Qualified women, minorities, individuals with disabilities and protected veterans are encouraged to apply. Leidos is an Equal Opportunity Employer.