AbbVie Senior Scientist I, Analytical and Purification Sciences in North Chicago, Illinois
Discovery Chemistry and Technology has an opening for a Senior Scientist I in the Analytical and Purification Sciences group. This position will provide exciting opportunities to devise innovative solutions to complex analytical and separation problems through the implementation and utilization of sophisticated instrumentation. A key focus of the position will be on the chiral analysis and purification of samples using supercritical fluid chromatography (SFC) and developing methods for the resolution of racemic drug molecules on milligram to gram scale by preparative chiral SFC.
Key responsibilities: *
- Maintain a high level of productivity in the laboratory setting
- Develop, operate and maintain novel instrumentation for the analysis and purification of compounds from medicinal chemistry projects and parallel synthesis libraries using SFC and HPLC
- Identify and implement novel applications of SFC
- Develop/demonstrate expertise in software
- Proactively seek out new information in the literature and incorporate this into individual project(s) as well as the overall program
- Publish research in peer-reviewed journals and present work at scientific conferences. Effective writer and communicator of research or other regulatory materials. Publish project-related research in high-impact factor peer-reviewed journals, R&D reports, patent applications and/or regulatory documents/filings.
- Demonstrate a high degree of responsibility in maintaining scientific standards, and safe laboratory practices for self and reporting staff, if any
- Participate in establishing project goals, defining short and long-term scientific strategies, and contribute to the generation of project-related documents and presentations
- Keep accurate and current records of research and/or project related activities according to AbbVie policies
- May supervise one or more direct reports and proactively engage in their development
PhD in Organic Chemistry, Analytical Chemistry or closely related field with 0-2 years of relevant industry and/or academic hands-on experience with LC-MS, preparative HPLC, preparative SFC, and laboratory automation, and mass spectrometry
Proven effective written and verbal communication skills and ability to interact effectively with scientists and engineers
- Experience in synthetic organic chemistry and the ability to communicate effectively with medicinal chemistry project teams
- Ability to operate and troubleshoot a variety of hardware/software platforms is required
Experience with programming and laboratory automation is essential
Experience with instrument design and maintenance
- Key Leadership Competencies: *
Builds strong relationships with peers and cross functionally with partners outside of team to enable higher performance.
- Learns fast, grasps the "essence" and can change course quickly where indicated.
- Raises the bar and is never satisfied with the status quo.
- Creates a learning environment, open to suggestions and experimentation for improvement.
- Embraces the ideas of others, nurtures innovation and manages innovation to reality.
Job Classification: Experienced
Job: RESEARCH AND DEVELOPMENT
Primary Location: USA-Illinois-North Chicago
Organization: Research & Development
Req ID: 1607514
Equal Opportunity Employer Minorities/Women/Veterans/Disabled