Intermountain Healthcare HIM Coding Specialist I in Murray, Utah
Greater Salt Lake area
What does it mean to be a part of Intermountain Healthcare? It means that the quest for clinical excellence is not just a goal, but a given. It means building an environment where physicians and employees can deliver the best in healthcare. And it’s realizing each employee or volunteer is vital to the healing process, because we can only achieve theextraordinary together .
Being a part of Intermountain Healthcare means joining with a world-class team of over 36,000 employees and embarking on a career filled with opportunities, strength, innovation, and fulfillment. Our mission is: Helping people live the healthiest lives possible.
Our patients deserve the best in healthcare, and we deliver.
The purpose of this position is to assign ICD-9-CM diagnosis codes for outpatient claims in order to ensure a valid data base to be used for research, reporting, quality improvement activities, management of days not final billed (DNFB) and appropriate reimbursement.
Essential Job Duties
- 1. Codes ancillary encounters utilizing ICD-9-CM diagnosis codes according to the official coding guidelines as published in Coding Clinic for ICD-9-CM.
- 2. Abstracts data elements for ancillary encounters as required by the facility.
- 3. Coordinates with Ancillary Departments relative to medical necessity issues.
- 4. Meets facility productivity and quality standards for ancillary coding.
- 5. Utilizes official coding guidelines and resources as required including Coding Clinic for ICD-9-CM, Faye Brown Coding Handbook, UHDDS guidelines for sequencing, pharmacology reference, medical dictionary, CMS directives and bulletins, and Fiscal intermediary communications.
- 6. Reports inaccuracies found in coding software to HIM coding supervisor, reports any potential unethical and/or fraudulent activity per compliance policy, adheres to all HIM coding and compliance policies, and reports inaccuracy or inconsistencies in coding practices to the HIM coding supervisor.
- 7. Updates knowledge and skills by reviewing quarterly Coding Clinic and completing semi-annual quiz, attending Intermountain coder training as required, and reviewing coding newsletters.
- 8. Interacts and communicates effectively with other departmental personnel (i.e., medical staff).
- 9. Works effectively in achieving department tasks and goals.
- Entry Rate: $14.20
- Benefits Eligible: Yes
- Experience or formal training in medical terminology.
- Experience in general computer skills and knowledge.
- Experience in providing effective written and verbal communications.
- Hearing / Listening, Manual Dexterity, Seeing, Speaking
- Experience or formal training in anatomy and physiology.
- Experience using coding software.
All positions subject to close without notice. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability or protected veteran status.
Working Hours 40
Primary Work Location Intermountain Medical Center
Expertise Clerical / Secretarial / Business Office Support
Job Type Full Time