Deutsche Bank Legal Counsel in London, United Kingdom
Job ID: 3139641 Full/Part-Time: Full-time
Regular/Temporary: Regular Listed: 2016-10-11
Location: London, United Kingdom
The mission of the Legal department is to ensure that legal services are provided to Deutsche Bank with the goals of protecting the integrity and reputation of the Bank; managing legal risk to make transactions viable and safe and partnering with Risk, Compliance, Audit and others to provide a proactive integrated risk management approach.
Job Title: Legal Counsel
Corporate Title: Vice President
You’ll be joining the wider Corporate Finance (“CF”) Legal team within the London legal department of Deutsche Bank with a particular focus on supporting the Debt Capital Markets business in the Europe, Middle East, Africa (EMEA) region and more broadly, in any other region worldwide where Deutsche Bank is underwriting a debt capital markets transaction in London.
You’ll be working closely with, and providing support to, a number of ancillary teams, such as Deutsche Bank’s syndicate and client coverage/origination teams and liability management desk, as well as offering opportunities for exposure to other areas of work.
- Providing legal and regulatory advice to the business and playing an active role in helping the business manage its exposure to legal, regulatory and reputational risk
- Acting in an advisory capacity throughout the course of transactions engaged in by the business (from the initial pitch and origination stage, through to the engagement of Deutsche Bank and, where applicable, the negotiation, execution and completion of transactions).
- Identifying, analysing and managing Deutsche Bank's exposure to legal, regulatory and reputational risks, supervising the business' adherence to Deutsche Bank's policies and procedures
- Providing multi-jurisdictional legal and regulatory advice to the business
- Liaising with the business and the legal and compliance departments of Deutsche Bank in other jurisdictions, infrastructure functions and external legal counsel. In particular, working in partnership with Deutsche Bank's other internal control functions such as compliance and Anti-Financial Crime (including Anti-Bribery and Corruption, Anti-Money Laundering and Group Embargo)
- Assisting in the drafting and updating of Deutsche Bank's templates, policies and procedures
- Participating in practice group calls involving members of the legal department of Deutsche Bank in other jurisdictions
- Participating in industry body initiatives (e.g., International Capital Markets Association meetings and working groups), including any such initiatives in relation to changes in the laws and regulations applicable to the business
- Assisting with team administration and know-how management
- Supporting the Debt Capital Markets business includes, without limitation, advising the business in relation to Euro Medium Term Note Programmes (and drawdowns), standalone bonds, liability management transactions (including consent solicitations, exchange offers and tender offers), SEC Shelf takedowns, Islamic Finance and ratings advisory mandates, in each case, for both emerging market and investment grade clients.
- Reviewing Request For Proposal (“RFP”) documentation received by the business, where appropriate
- Participating in the selection of external counsel and being responsible for the management of Deutsche Bank's relationships with external counsel
- Drafting and negotiating, among other things, mandate letters on the basis of Deutsche Bank's templates
- Liaising with external counsel
- Reviewing and negotiating transaction documentation and conditions precedent in relation to transactions prepared by external counsel
- Participating in Deutsche Bank's approval processes and committees (including Deutsche Bank's due diligence review committee and reputational risk committees)
Skills & Qualifications:
- A broad capital markets and corporate finance experience either in private practice at a leading law firm and/or at a leading financial institution
- Hold an English or United States (US) legal qualification (beneficial)
- Have excellent technical legal knowledge and skills
- Have an interest in, and an understanding of, the current legal and regulatory issues and market practices affecting the conduct of the capital markets business
- More generally, have an interest in, and an understanding of, the main legal and regulatory issues currently facing financial institutions such as Deutsche Bank
- Ability to work independently, but also be collegiate and able to act as a team player
- A demonstrable ability to manage significant concurrent transaction volumes
- Ability to exercise good judgement and have demonstrated a thoughtful and practical approach to problem-solving
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Pro-active, with a flexible approach to your work and strong self-motivation
- A desire to learn and gain experience of a wide variety of work
- An interest in interacting with colleagues across Deutsche Bank's international network
Deutsche Bank is an equal opportunity employer which seeks to recruit and appoint the best available person for a job regardless of marital/civil partnership status, sex (including pregnancy), age, religion, belief, race, nationality and ethnic or national origin, colour, sexual orientation or disability.
If you would like to discuss your requirements, or have any concerns about the application process, please contact your recruiter.