STATE OF FRANKLIN HEALTHCARE ASSOCIATES PATIENT SERVICE REPRESENTATIVE- FAMILY PHYSICIANS OF JOHNSON CITY in Johnson City, Tennessee
State of Franklin Healthcare Associates is currently seeking a Full-Time Patient Service Representative to be a part of our Family Physicians of Johnson City team.
State of Franklin Healthcare Associates was voted as the Best Place to Work in the 2017 Johnson City Press Reader's Choice Award
Provides patient service and support in the daily administrative activities of a medical office including patient check in/check out, telephone coverage and other clerical duties.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Greets patients and welcomes them to the office in a polite and friendly manner.
- Reviews demographic, insurance and provider information with patients at every visit and updates records as necessary.
- Ensures new patients complete all required paperwork and creates a new account in the computer system.
- Obtains a copy of the patient's insurance card and driver license.
- Completes population health data elements and processes.
- Updates electronic medical record system (EMR), takes patient's photograph, scans and indexes documents.
- Provides patient with SoFHA payment and privacy policies and answers any patient questions.
- Prints encounter form for the patient.
- Refers the patient to the Patient Account Representative when flagged, when the patient has a delinquent balance or upon arrival of patient on initial visit if it is a Worker's Compensation or liability case.
- Informs patients about delays and wait times.
- Escalates any unusual patient behavior to supervisor or clinical staff as appropriate.
- Greets patients and addresses them in a polite and friendly manner.
- Schedules return appointments as designated on patient encounter form.
- Reviews the patient encounter form to ensure it has been accurately completed.
- May verify charges and orders in EMR, distribute clinical summary and change patient status to check out.
- Determines the patient's responsibility for the services rendered.
- Collects the appropriate amount noting the payment on the patient encounter form and provides the patient with a receipt.
- Refers patients to the Patient Account Representative if the patient requests payment arrangements or has a question regarding the account balance.
- Balances cash drawer.
- May prepare banking deposits and close out credit card machines for the day.
- May prepare encounter forms and send them to Central Billing Office.
- Answers, screens and routes calls to appropriate individuals.
- Records and routes messages appropriately.
- Schedules, coordinates and reschedules patient appointments.
- May call to remind patients of their appointments or print clientele report to verify confirmed appointments, calling those who did not respond.
- Maintains clinic Provider scheduling guidelines as directed by Provider and/or supervisor.
- Responds to emergency calls according to established procedure.
- Answers general insurance and billing questions.
- Performs other administrative duties such as locking/unlocking doors or front office windows, opening/distributing mail, typing, filing, faxing and collecting documents to be shredded, forwarding phones to the day/evening setting, etc.
- Compiles information and prepares reports.
- Maintains records.
- Participates in educational activities.
- Follows organizational policies and procedures, including State of Franklin Healthcare Associates Compliance Manual, Code of Ethics and Business Standards, HR Policies and Procedures Manual, Team Member Handbook, OSHA Manual and any other policies or procedures for the job function, department, location or clinic.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
High school diploma or equivalent and knowledge of grammar, punctuation and sentence structure are required.
Previous experience in a medical office or customer service position is desirable. Basic knowledge of insurance and billing procedures, including ICD-10, CPT and HCPCS coding is desired as applicable.
Certificates, Licenses, Registrations
Service: Demonstrates high levels of service to patients, physicians, team members and other departments; works to meet or exceed service expectations; remains calm when faced with challenging or difficult situations; effectively resolves service issues.
Quality: Offers ideas and solutions to improve outcomes and enhance service; analyzes relevant issues and data before taking action; effectively implements changes.
Integrity: Acts with the highest levels of personal ethics, honesty and accountability.
Performance: Applies job specific knowledge, skills and experience to accomplish desired results; requires appropriate level of supervision; work is thorough, accurate and completed in a timely fashion; remains calm and uses sound judgement in decision-making; is reliable and dependable; utilizes time and resources responsibly; complies with policies and procedures; work area is organized, neat and clean; keeps current and effectively applies new methods, skills and technologies.
Communication: Expresses facts and ideas in a clear, convincing and organized manner both orally and in writing; listens effectively and clarifies information as needed; professional, respectful and compassionate in communications with others; considers the situation and responds appropriately; follows proper channels of communication and shares essential information with appropriate individuals; relays details of situation accurately and timely; maintains appropriate confidentiality.
Teamwork: Builds and maintains effective working relationships; recognizes strengths and contribution of others; manages and resolves conflicts in a respectful and constructive manner.
Work is performed in a medical office environment involving contact with patients, physicians, staff, insurance carriers and other business partners. Occasional local travel between work sites and additional hours, including evening or weekend work, may be necessary.
up to 10 lbs
up to 25 lbs
up to 50 lbs
Job Start/End Date: 12-Oct-2017 to 11-Dec-2017 (CST)
Location: Johnson City, TN, USA
Employment Type: Full Time