City of Hope Central Service Technician in Duarte, California
Central Service Technician
Requisition ID : 8668
Job Title: Central Service Technician
Assists in the daily operation of the Donor/Apheresis Center including loading/unloading, transporting, ordering, packaging and inventorying supplies, equipment and specimens. Drives City of Hope vehicles including passenger vans, box truck, and bloodmobile. Participates in the operation of mobile blood drives. Assists with required quality control checks of equipment and occasionally assists with or performs validation of equipment. Demonstrates a caring and professional manner at all times.
Key Responsibilities include:
- Assists in setting up, priming and dismantling apheresis kits for cell separators.
- Transports specimens and blood components to laboratories and hospital/patient rooms.
- Assists Therapeutic Apheresis staff in “change over” of patient beds and equipment when needed.
- Assists with care and maintenance of department equipment and supplies. Will also assist with routine quality control of equipment.
- Requests, orders, and inventories supplies as necessary to keep materials on hand at all times.
- Packs/prepares equipment and supplies for blood drives.
- Loads and unloads blood drive equipment/supplies from vehicles. Performs routine inspection of vehicles prior to use on blood drives.
- Picks up and delivers interoffice mail between Blood Bank, Donor Room and other departments.
- Interacts, establishes cooperative working relationships, and communicates effectively with co-workers.
- Maintains work area, records and equipment per department protocol.
- Prioritizes workflow, completes work in a timely manner.
- Reviews pertinent department Standard Operating Procedures annually and as needed.
- Maintains annual safety certification.
- Participates in off-site blood drives as assigned.
Minimum Education and Skills Required for Consideration:
- High School or equivalent; Experience may substitute for minimum education requirements
- 1+ year related experience, preferably within a hospital
- Valid Driver License and good driving record; CPR certification within six months of hire
- Excellent oral/written communication and organizational skills
- Perform responsibly under minimal supervision.
- Excellent time management skills.
- Drives vehicles including passenger vans, box truck and 39’ bloodmobile
- Foster and promote a positive image and professional appearance
- Answer telephones, maintain logs
- Extremely heavy physical effort (lift/carry 50 lbs or more)
- Prolonged, extensive, or considerable standing/walking
- Frequently lifts, positions, pushes and/or transfers patients
- Lifts supplies/equipment
- Pushes/pulls or moves/lifts heavy equipment/supplies
- Considerable reaching, stooping, bending, kneeling, crouching
- Lifts/handles patient files
- Occasionally operates electric carts
- Pushes/pulls moderately filled wheeled carts
About City of Hope
City of Hope, an innovative biomedical research, treatment and educational institution with over 4000 employees, is dedicated to the prevention and cure of cancer and other life-threatening diseases and guided by a compassionate, patient-centered philosophy.
Founded in 1913 and headquartered in Duarte, California, City of Hope is a remarkable non-profit institution, where compassion and advanced care go hand-in-hand with excellence in clinical and scientific research. City of Hope is a National Cancer Institute designated Comprehensive Cancer Center and a founding member of the National Comprehensive Cancer Network, an alliance of the nation’s 20 leading cancer centers that develops and institutes standards of care for cancer treatment.
City of Hope strongly supports and values the uniqueness of all individuals and promotes a work environment where diversity is embraced.City of Hope is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, status as a protected veteran, or status as a qualified individual with disability.