General Motors SQL Systems Engineer - GCC0001379 in Detroit, Michigan
About GCCX and Vehicle & System Operations:
At GCCX, we don’t just build great cars, trucks and crossovers. We design the customer mobility experience. We are developing cutting edge technology on next generation infotainment systems and in-vehicle connectivity. This technology is a key enabler to things like smarter car sharing programs, more advanced active safety and even autonomous driving. The System Vehicle Operations team and its members operate world’s largest 4G LTE network in the automotive industry, supporting millions of connected vehicles and their services. We make sure that system performance can support business objectives. We drive continuous improvement that directly contributes to GM’s bottom line.
About the SQL Systems Engineer role:
This position is responsible for defining our systems’ Key Performance Indicators (KPI), metrics and monitors of our systems and its eco-system to ensure the successful launch of infotainment systems and connected vehicle features. This role is highly technical and requires deep understanding of modern system/application interaction and identifying data elements within the systems that can be used to support KPI calibration.
The person in this role will work cross-functionally and globally to collaborate with business/product owners, IT development and operations, engineering, and quality teams, to ensure the flawless launch of infotainment programs. The selected will also work with product owners (our customers) and customer experience organizations to define, track and measure our services so that we can best support and improve our connected vehicle customer experiences.
- Fully understand & document system work flows, associated back-end interactions, and entire eco-system of the connected vehicle services.
- Design, develop, and implement desktop applications and/or processes to automate routine tasks as necessary to facilitate analysis activities.
- Support multi department and potential cross functional report development and maintenance to measure the success rate of vehicle functionality (Point of Purchase and Activation, Hotspot performance, etc.)
- Coordinate with development team to understand upcoming features and enhancements to application and process
- Investigate complex quality problems and applying sound technical judgment to customer data for the develop of system remedies
- Effectively lead, motivate and facilitate others in group situations and instruct others in new technology within the connected car environment
- Apply various visualization tools to extracted data in order to provide unique and insightful results
- High level of analytical ability to assess and identify appropriate alternative courses of action for definition and resolution where problems are complex
- Ability to prioritize work with only limited direction from supervisor
- Establish program monitoring to ensure agreed upon customer expectations will be achieved
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, Electrical Engineering, or equivalent Engineering or related degree or equivalent experience
- Minimum 8-10 years’ experience in a lead technical role
- Experience in automotive systems and software development
- Proficiency using and interacting with relational database structures and working knowledge of SQL
- Appropriate interpersonal styles and communication methods to work independently and effectively with business partners to meet mutual goals
- Excellent Communication and Cross Functional Team Building Skills
- Proficiency with MS Access/Office suite including proficiency developing advanced processes and applications for the desktop
- High level of analytical ability where problems are complex and difficult
- Demonstrated technical and professional skills in job-related area required
- Familiarity with Cognos, Tableau, Crystal Report and other reporting system
- Master’s degree in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, Electrical Engineering, or equivalent technical experience in a related technical field
- Direct experience at GM in one or more of the following areas:
- Requirements definition
- Issue resolution
- Product validation
- Process definition
- Service delivery
- Strong Database skills and significant SQL query development experience
- Prior experience with vehicle infotainment, telematics, or navigation systems
- Experience with Android or iOS or BlackBerry at a platform level
- Working experience with web services (XML, WSDL, SOAP, JSON) and transactional monitoring
- Experience with Salesforce, Adobe Analytics, Dynatrace platform
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, or protected veteran status.