TIAA Head of Institutional Financial Services Risk Management in Denver, Colorado
Since 1918, it has been TIAA’s mission to serve, our ability to perform and the values we embrace that make us a different kind of financial services organization. We’re dedicated to serving the financial needs of those in the academic, medical, cultural, governmental and research fields, and committed to helping make lifetime financial well-being possible for them.
By building a culture that allows all employees to contribute their unique talents and skills, we’re able to provide our customers with fresh ideas and distinct perspectives to help them achieve their goals. We believe a diverse and inclusive workforce is one of our greatest strengths and a key measure of our success * .
For more information about TIAA, visit our website at https://www.tiaa.org/public/why-tiaa/who-we-are .
Position: Head of Institutional Finance Services Risk Management
Location: Charlotte, NC or Denver, NC
Responsible for leading all risk management functions for the Institutional Financial Services line of business. Partners with the second and third line of defense leadership to drive first line accountability for risk management and supports the LOB in executing and achieving its business goals. Responsible for driving a culture of first line risk ownership with your business partners while also overseeing and effectively challenging the risk identification, analysis, measurement, and mitigation of the LOB. This oversight and scope of risks spans product, strategic, operational, and investment (both credit and market) risk, legal entities, and complex distribution channels.
Key Responsibilities and Duties:
• Assist in identifying emerging risks and trends (both internal and external) that could have a negative impact on the ability to achieve the goals and objectives of assigned business.
• Provide counsel and effectively challenge business partners including LOB CEO, executive management, and senior business leaders as well as product management, operations, distribution, and partners including audit, compliance, legal, finance, and human resources on overall risk management issues.
• Review business plans and challenge assumptions to support the reasonableness of the plans and fit with corporate strategy.
• Partner with first line partners to establish, enable, create, and sustain a culture of risk management and accountability by the first line risk owners driving to risk-based decision making.
• Assist in defining risk information and tools needs for the business. Ensure the capture of appropriate risk-related data to support the measurement and management of risk within the business and risk aggregation and measurement at the enterprise level. Provide input into assumptions supporting risk measurement.
• Guide and shape the articulation of risk appetite to establish the parameters for first line risk-taking.
• Help identify and monitor key risk and performance indicators and metrics, and monitor the effectiveness of risk mitigation programs and controls. Implement programs and limits to support risk-taking that are in line with corporate standards and the prescribed risk appetite.
• Support the development and implementation of appropriate policies and procedures that are in line with corporate guidelines.
• Support the implementation and ongoing use of GRC tools within the LOB.
• Interact with regulators as needed including the Federal Reserve, New York State Insurance Department, other state insurance departments, Office of the Comptroller of the Currency (OCC). FINRA, SEC, and MSRB.
• Assume a leading role on specified risk committees, leadership team meetings with the LOB, and with Enterprise Risk Management.
• Partner with second and third line of defense leadership to ensure all enterprise risk management programs are properly understood and implemented with the LOB.
• Bachelor’s Degree is required
• 10 years in Risk or related fields working with and influencing SVP/Managing Director level leaders required.
• 5 years of Leadership (including leading direct reports) experience in first or second line risk roles in consumer financial services is required.
• Experience leading transitions and successfully integrating merger and acquisition activity is required.
• Experience working closely with regulators, legal, compliance and audit in a matrixed environment is required.
• Ability to identify and implement effective risk assessment processes, models, and systems in line with corporate guidelines is required.
• Demonstrated experience in business process improvement or Six Sigma in a consumer financial services organization is required.
• Master’s Degree is preferred.
• Ability to lead, adapt to, and initiate change.
• Ability to assist in optimizing risk-taking to achieve business results.
• Demonstrated ability to work collaboratively in a matrixed environment with cross functional groups and senior management.
Equal Employment Opportunity is not just the law, it’s our commitment. Read more about the Equal Employment Opportunity Law at http://www1.eeoc.gov/employers/upload/eeocselfprint_poster.pdf .
If you need assistance applying due to being visually or hearing impaired, please email Careers Help .
We are an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. We will consider all qualified applicants for employment regardless of age, race, color, national origin, sex, religion, veteran status, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, or any other legally protected status.
- ©2016 Teachers Insurance and Annuity Association of America (TIAA), 730 Third Avenue, New York, NY 10017 C23921
Job: Client Services/Sales/Wealth Mgmt
Primary Location: NC-Charlotte
Req ID: 1707328